Saturday, July 16, 2011

Stem, transom knee, and a bit more paint

With planking and puttying done, it's on to the stem, transom knee, and skeg/keel.  Actually, I haven't gotten to the skeg/keel quite yet so this update will cover just the stem and knee.

A few #10 screws hold the outer stem in place, but mostly the epoxy does the work.  Here the rough-cut outer stem is drilled off and ready for final shaping.
I then cut the front edge of the stem down to a little under 3/4"...later I will add a 5/8" brass half-oval to the stem and keel.  Once the boat is flipped over, I'll cut down the stem to the final profile.
Here's the transom knee getting glued up.  I first made a patter from scrap ply, then glued two pieces of Doug fir at the correct angle (that is, the angle between the transom and the bottom).  Then, as shown here, I glued four plies of 1/8" Doug fir along the edge to add strength to the knee.  In theory I could have laminated the entire knee--which would have taken at least 10 plies--but that seemed to be overkill in this case.  In addition to this knee, the transom will be supported by the edge of the aft well and, near the top, by the side decks (see Sketches and Plans).  That should be plenty for a trolling motor or perhaps a 2hp outboard.
It's hard to see from this photo, but I tweaked the color a bit and primed a couple of strakes on the other side.  I found the original color a bit "minty", so I added a bit of grey to the mix to tone it down.  Again, hard to see in the photo, but I'm pretty happy with the color now.  But I might tweak it a bit more before this is all over...or maybe just revert to a classic off-white!
With the transom knee done, now I have to make the skeg/keel pieces and glue and screw and bolt those to the boat.  I'll be making up a couple of bolts to support the skeg out of 1/4" bronze rod, I'll have some photos of that soon.

Have you seen the new Harry Potter yet?  I'll catch it on DVD myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment